LoRaWAN Certification - Frequently asked questionsBack to References
LoRaWAN certification program was announced on 10th of November 2015. We’ve learned that there is a remarkable interest among LoRaWAN community to get the products certified. Hence, we’ve released a FAQ to help the community with the most common questions.
Etteplan LoRaWAN certification experts Jouko Nikula and Sandro von Brandenburg have assembled together to questions they most frequently face when working to get different kinds of products LoRaWAN certified. You can contact them through the Test Laboratory contact details at the bottom in case you have inquiries or questions not addressed here.
- Question: Why should I certify my product?
Answer: LoRaWAN certification ensures interoperability and compliance with LoRaWAN networks. It also entitles to use LoRa Alliance Certified logo.
- Question: Do I need to be member in LoRa Alliance in order to certify my LoRaWAN product?
Answer: Yes, only LoRa Alliance members are entitled to use LoRa Alliance Certified logo.
- Question: What kind of LoRaWAN devices can be certified?
Answer: Currently the certification program is for Class A devices in EU region 863-870MHz band and US region 902-928MHz band. Certification program for Class B, Class C and Gateway devices has not yet been opened. However you can contact us if you are interested in pre-certification testing for devices that do not yet have an official certification program.
- Question: What is the LoRaWAN certification process with Espotel?
Answer: The LoRaWAN certification process is as follows:
- Contact us for a quote. We can guide you through the whole process.
- Prepare your product(s) for certification. We can guide you through these requirements.
- The certified device must comply with the LoRaWAN Specification. The specification is available from LoRa Alliance.
- The certified device must comply with the LoRa Alliance End Device Certification Requirements. The specification is available from LoRa Alliance.
- Fill in the certification questionnaire. The questionnaire is available from LoRa Alliance.
- Send your product to us. It must be ready for Over the Air activation or already personalized.
- We will run the certification tests and send you the results.
- If tests are passed, either we or you can provide the results to LoRa Alliance.
- If tests fail, we will give you the diagnostics and help you to fix the problem. A re-test is needed (step 4. again).
- The LoRa Alliance reviews the passed test result and grants the LoRaWAN certificate.
- Results and basic product information are released on LoRa Alliance web page. This can be delayed by request in case a of specific product launch date.
- Question: What is included in the LoRaWAN certification service?
Answer: Full guidance through the LoRaWAN certification process. The certification testing includes test diagnostics and instructions for corrections in case of failures. Also a single retest round is included in the price if this case.
- Question: What does the LoRaWAN certification testing test and what does it not test?
Answer: The LoRaWAN certification testing tests for end node functionality, in other words it tests that node’s LoRaWAN protocol stack and application are compliant with the LoRaWAN specification.
A LoRaWAN radio performance certification is also available. Radio performance includes things such as the radiated power, radio sensitivity etc. These are key parameters for good performance when signal strength is poor. This is also an area where we can propose improvements. For a network operator it would be useful to set minimum acceptable performance requirements for nodes. This would ensure that the end customers get the best possible network coverage. If you are a LoRaWAN network operator, we can help you to specify end node requirements.
- Question: How long does it take to run the LoRaWAN certification tests?
Answer: If you book a time for certification and provide us the end node, we will deliver the test report within one weeks’ time from the booked date.
- Question: Is regulatory testing (CE/FCC) required prior to LoRaWAN certification testing?
Answer: No, regulatory testing can take place before, after or at the same time with the LoRaWAN certification testing. We can also provide the regulatory approvals, so that you get a full turnkey solution for your testing, certification and regulatory approval needs.